.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
the skunks of los feliz
10.09.2004
 
I drove to Marshall High this afternoon to take a run, and found the track closed for some reason (I never have been able to figure out the public hours). So instead, I took my afternoon constitutional in the east end of Griffith Park, since I'm kinda burnt on the whole Mt. Hollywood hiking scene.

And you know what?

It's not bad over there. I mean sure, I've been to the zoo before, and done the whole DWP Festival of Lights Holiday Traffic Jam, even took a sock in the eye from Cami (an accident, she swears) while we were enjoying the merry-go-round in the early days of our relationship. But I don't think I ever really thought about all the good stuff that's tucked away between the tail end of the Hollywood Hills and the 5.

So, in the interest of keeping this post manageable, and because I just rented Battle Royale and am dying to see it, here's a short list of east GP's goods:

- the creepy old abandoned zoo, with it's empty exhibits and cages. Somebody should seriously shoot a serial killer flick there.

- pinatas, pinatas, pinatas.

- the aforementioned merry-go-round (though it's way overdue for some serious restoration).

- that trailer that serves as the Observatory's home while it's being renovated. Well, it's not really cool, as such. I just think it's funny that the Observatory is now living in a trailer park. How the mighty have fallen.

- the wedding party photo sessions at the Mulholland Fountain, with the requisite beautiful bride (they seem so young to me), and a coterie of bridesmaids in dresses that span all the colors of a Paas Easter egg dye kit.

- Travel Town, which the 8 year old in me is dying to visit. I mean, trains! Who doesn't love trains?

- Forest Lawn Hollywood Hills. OK, it's not officially part of Griffith Park. But it is the quiet, respectable next door neighbor, much less clamorous and dirty than the 5. Though sometimes it seems a little too quiet over there...

- The Autry Museum. Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what this place is all about. Probably a bunch of old TV props and a big exhibit on how Gene Autry owned the Angels when they sucked.

Not bad, huh? I think I might make a point of exploring that side of the park more. Maybe even take up golf, so I can try to send a ball over that huge net and onto the 5.

Now, on to Battle Royale!

Update: Battle Royale is pretty damned good.


(BTW, if you want to see Griffith Park in action, check out this video blog by Shannon Noble. Good for people who want to check out the Bat Cave without humpin' it up Bronson Canyon. Thanks for the links, Shannon!)
 
Comments:
I got really confused the first time I saw the Observatory trailer. It said Satellite location. I thought maybe the Griffith Observatory put up a new satellite telescope or something.
 
Post a Comment


DROP MAIL AT:

Le Pew Mail

PHOTOS:

BLOGS:

LINKS:

MUZAK & RADIO:

SUBSCRIBE:

BROWSER:

Get Firefox!


ARCHIVES: