.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDURL$>
the skunks of los feliz
12.15.2004
 

The Griffith Observatory good news: A couple of very large donations have put the Observatory's renovation and expansion fundraising program over the top, ensuring the completion of the ambitious construction project which has shuttered the landmark since January 2002.

The Griffith Observatory bad news: The Observatory is not set to reopen until May 14, 2006! What's a space geek/sunset watcher like me supposed to do for the next year and a half? Can we at least get the grounds open sooner than that? My bench is calling me! I can see my apartment from there, and everything.

Ah, who am I kidding? My bench is long gone, removed to make room for the new-fangled glass-walled restaurant. Maybe the new benches will be even better, with better views of the basin ( no chain-link fence blocking the vista).

Maybe.

We'll find out in 2006.

Note: Photo from the Observatory website, wherein can be found a chronological gallery of construction photos, as well as a construction site webcam.
 
Comments: Post a Comment


DROP MAIL AT:

Le Pew Mail

PHOTOS:

BLOGS:

LINKS:

MUZAK & RADIO:

SUBSCRIBE:

BROWSER:

Get Firefox!


ARCHIVES: